CITY OF SALEM invites applications for the position of:
Deputy City Surveyor (Supervisor II)
SALARY: $5,992.13 - $8,053.07 Monthly
OPENING DATE: 02/13/23
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
The City of Salem is seeking a Deputy City Surveyor for our Engineering Division of the Public Works Department. We're looking for an accomplished Professional Land Surveyor who likes challenges, diversity in work, and a desire to work in a local municipal government for a mid-sized Oregon city.
Next Application Review Date: February 20th, 2023
This job posting will remain open until position is filled; with applications reviewed and interviews conducted weekly. If interested, we encourage you to apply now.
What you will do:
• Supervise assigned professional and technical staff.
• Serve as interim City Surveyor when they are not available.
• Work with City Planning reviewing the survey component of land development applications.
• Review subdivision and partition plats, property line adjustments, records of surveys and deeds prepared for private land development.
• Determine property lines, boundaries, easements, and rights-of-way for capital improvement projects; prepare the appropriate maps and deeds necessary for the projects.
• Collaborate across different departments and interact daily with the general public, local land surveyors, engineers, and architects.
• Provide technical expertise, information, interpretation, and reference to other disciplines on state code, county code, city code, plans, projects, policies, practices, and standards applicable to land surveying.
• Provide technical and survey field support for City capital improvement projects.
• Research various survey related issues of City-owned right-of-way, easements, private ownership, and potential interests.
• Write and review boundary descriptions prepared by, or for, the City of Salem.
• Complete mathematical checks and review of subdivision and partition plats, property line adjustments, records of surveys and deeds prepared by, or for, the City of Salem, or private land development.
What can we offer you for all your hard work?
• Medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.
• Paid vacation and sick time in accordance with City policies.
• Competitive pay.
• Employer-paid PERS contribution of 6%.
• Opportunity for voluntary pre-tax contributions to a 457b account.
• Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts.
• Voluntary long-term care.
• Employee wellness program.
• Employee assistance program.
• Employee health clinic.
• Position schedule is Monday through Friday, 7:30am to 4:30pm.
• Click here to browse the great benefits offered for this position
What are the minimum qualifications?
• Must pass the pre-employment background check.
• Must have an Oregon Driver License and a driving record that meets the City of Salem’s driving standards.
• Associate's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in surveying or civil engineering, and four years of supervisory experience in the field and survey or a related field, or any combination of education, experience and training that demonstrate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities as listed, and ability to perform the essential job functions.
• Registration as a Professional Land Surveyor by the State of Oregon at time of appointment.
What you will bring along:
• A hands-on approach to leadership.
• Supervisory and management skills that demonstrate a thorough knowledge of survey principles, practices, and regulations.
• Professional-level writing, communication and drafting skills.
The Public Works Department values employees and their professional development. If you are someone that takes pride in collaborating on innovative ideas, proactively responding to community needs, and being a good environmental and financial steward, we look forward to meeting you! The Public Works Department promotes a healthy work life balance, while maintaining the utmost dedication to the health, safety, and welfare of our community, including our team!
We are the second largest City in the State of Oregon. Located in the lush Willamette Valley, Salem is the capital city of Oregon with a population over 170,000. Centrally located, Salem is 47 miles south of Portland, an hour from the Cascade Mountains to the east and an hour from the ocean beaches to the west. Salem is an exceptional community for living and working with exciting new and comfortable well-established neighborhoods and carefully preserved historic buildings.
A full-service City, Salem has eight primary departments: Community Services, Finance, Fire, Enterprise Services, Legal, Police, Public Works, and Urban Development. Several departments also have functional divisions within their department. The City has five labor unions and employs roughly 1,350 talented and dedicated staff members. The Urban Renewal Agency and the Salem Housing Authority are separate municipal corporations. The Agency contracts with the City for services and the Authority is led by the Housing Administrator within the Urban Development department.
How can I apply?
The City of Salem invites individuals of all diverse communities and backgrounds to apply for our available job opportunities as we strive to provide the best service to everyone. The City of Salem is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all and has a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to, and learning from each other, we are better able to serve the community.
Hiring managers do not have access to view resumes as part of the application review process, please make sure to include how you meet the qualifications outlined in the class specification in your application.
Applicants that meet the minimum qualifications as outlined above but not selected for this position may be placed on an eligibility list, and candidates may be hired from the list. Eligibility lists are valid for six months. The City will send email notifications to eligible candidates about potential hiring opportunities so please ensure your email settings accept our system generated email notifications.
For more information about employment at the City of Salem, please visit our website at www.cityofsalem.net/jobs.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
295 Church St. Suite 210
Salem, OR 97301
DEPUTY CITY SURVEYOR (SUPERVISOR II)
1 post • Page 1 of 1