Entry level chain/instrument person looking for work in Seattle

In an effort to keep spam off the job board, all new users and posts must be moderated. After creating an account or post, please email info@lsaw.org so that it can be reviewed and activated.
ErikMagrini

Entry level chain/instrument person looking for work in Seattle

Post by ErikMagrini »

Hello,

I hope this is ok to post here, but if not please accept my apologies. My name is Erik Magrini, and I’m currently trying to transition to new career as a survey chain/instrument person. I’ve been fortunate enough to talk to various land surveying firms here in Seattle on what to expect in a position like this, and to get advice on how to get started in the industry.

One thing they have all said that there is a large demand for survey work in the Seattle area, and that there are companies out there willing to do on the job training for the right employee. I know that Renton Technical College offers classes as well, but classes don’t start until next September and I’d like to get started as soon as possible. I am hoping there is a Seattle-based survey firm who thinks I might be a good fit for their survey crew.

A little bit of information on my background. I was in accelerated math and science classes all through high school and college, where I studied Environmental Biology. After college, I worked for ten years in the bio-tech field as a Senior Technologist doing a combination of microbiology, mechanical engineering, and R&D work.

My wife and I always wanted to live in Seattle however, and we moved here in 2007 when she was offered the chance to transfer for her job. This ended up happening right during a recession unfortunately, and since many of the bio-tech firms here were no longer hiring, I spent a couple years working for WA State Parks and Woodinville Public Works leading their summer work crews.

In 2008 I also started my own audio engineering company, which I have been successfully running for the last 10 years. However, much of the work I do is now being replaced my automated online services, so I’m looking to transition into land surveying as a new career. I like that it combines the use of technology with working outdoors, something I came to appreciate working for State Parks and Woodinville. It is also important to me that there appears to be a lot of room for growth in this field.

If there are any surveying companies in the Seattle area who think I might work well in their survey crews, I’d love the chance to meet with you and discuss this some more. I’m also open to any advice people might have on other ways to get started in the surveying field.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration,
Erik Magrini
erikmagrini@gmail.com
847-977-7626

ParksChiefSurveyor

Re: Entry level chain/instrument person looking for work in Seattle

Post by ParksChiefSurveyor »

Keep and eye out on Seattle.gov and AWC Jobnet for public sector work. The hiring process can be long, but the pay and benefits sometimes are better than private sector. Private sector is always hiring. Consider the job fair at RTC on the 4th Tuesday in April! You will meet local firms, vendors and survey managers. Best of luck!
Tom